Reading: / Table Completion / Part 5

Using LP Gas Safely Around the Home

Liquified Petroleum Gas (LP Gas) - also known as bottled gas - is widely used in the home for cooking, room and water heating. lt may also be used on a range of leisure appliances, such as camping equipment, barbecues or caravans.

LP Gas is propane gas, stored in cylinders under pressure as a liquid, and then used as a gas when connected to domestic and portable appliances. It is not the same as Automotive LP Gas (known as Autogas) which is used in specially converted cars. Autogas is a mixture of propane and butane, and therefore must not be used in domestic or portable outdoor appliances.

LP Gas is clean burning, heavier than air and non toxic. In its natural state LP Gas is odourless. So that gas leaks can be detected, a chemical is added which gives it a very distinctive smell.

Domestic and portable outdoor LP Gas applications are designed only for use with propane gas.

LP Gas is not the same as natural gas-gas which is piped to your house by a gas company, LP Gas must never be used in natural gas appliances or vice versa. Operating an appliance on the wrong type of gas can be hazardous. LP gas contains much more energy than natural gas and as such presents a fire risk if connected to the wrong appliance.

If you smell Gas indoors

You should never use a naked flame to try and find a gas leak.

It may not be a gas leak - people sometimes accidentally leave gas cooker burners turned on and unlit, and this may be the cause of the gas smell. Also, check that any heaters have been properly lit. Turn the burner off and wait until you can no longer smell the gas before trying to use a gas appliance.

Open doors and windows. Don't operate power or light switches, don’t turn electrical appliances on or off, and don’t use your telephone, as they might spark and create a fire. In particular, don’t use a fan to provide ventilation.

If burners haven't accidentally been left on, leave the premises and turn the gas supply off at the Cylinder. If safe to do so, switch off the power at the fuse box so that electrical appliances can't Operate and generate a spark.

Call a licensed gas filter from a neighbour’s telephone or use a cell phone outside - it may be Unsafe to use your house phone. Don’t go back into the house until the gas is turned off at the Cylinder and the smell of gas is cleared.

Questions 1-4



Check that the stove has not been turned on and left……


For ventilation, open doors and windows but don’t use.


Leave the premises and switch off the electricity at…..


If assistance is required, cal from……